By Helen Wilcox
- Represents an exploration of a 12 months within the textual lifetime of early smooth England
- Juxtaposes the range and diversity of texts that have been released, performed, learn, or heard within the similar yr, 1611
- Offers an account of the textual tradition of the 12 months 1611, the surroundings of language, and the guidelines from which the accredited model of the English Bible emerged
Read Online or Download 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
This learn examines the illustration of marital and extramarital relatives in James Joyce's texts, just about context and to Joyce's biography. Utell claims that Joyce makes use of those relatives to visualize a unique type of love, one established in an intensive reputation and a rejection of a utilitarian and sexually repressive stance in the direction of marriage.
Ithell Colquhoun (1906–1988) is remembered at the present time as a surrealist artist, author, and occultist. even though her work grasp in a few public collections and her gothic novel Goose of Hermogenes (1961) continues to be in print, serious responses to her paintings were significantly limited through the restricted availability of her artwork and writings.
At vainness reasonable tells the tale of Bunyan's strong metaphor, exploring how self-importance reasonable used to be remodeled from a logo of sin and persecution right into a show off for star, wealth and tool. This literary historical past, concentrating on reception, version and impact, lines the fictitious illustration of self-importance reasonable over 3 centuries from John Bunyan's masterpiece, The Pilgrim's development (1678), to William Makepeace Thackeray's personal vainness reasonable (1847–8).
Expanding specialization in the self-discipline of English and American reports has shifted the point of interest of scholarly dialogue towards theoretical mirrored image and cultural contexts. those advancements have benefitted the self-discipline in additional methods than one, yet they've got additionally led to a definite forget of shut examining.
- The Papist Represented: Literature and the English Catholic Community, 1688–1791
- Postcolonial Literary Geographies: Out of Place
- Post-War British Literature and the "End of Empire"
- The Scottish Enlightenment and Literary Culture (Studies in Eighteenth-Century Scotland)
- Poetry and Performance During the British Poetry Revival 1960–1980: Event and Effect (Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics)
Additional info for 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England